Sunday, November 8, 2009

A Low-Carb Lifestyle

Just about a week after Mark's birthday weekend in Vegas, we decided to give Atkins a try. Up to this point in my life, I had been very anti-Atkins because I felt that the people I know who have done it eat bacon all day and lose weight. This is not a healthy diet. But, we bought a book and, after reading through it, I began to understand the ideas behind the diet..scratch that, it's a lifestyle. Basically, the principles are simple and all sugary, processed food should be eliminated and replaced by healthy alternatives.

One thing that I discovered during this first two week period is just how much I had become addicted, literally, to sugar. The first couple days were the most difficult, especially when I had to have something sweet after my meals, but I soon got used to it. Last week, I also gave up caffeine. Instead of feeling tired, as I assumed I would, I had a distinctively increased energy level. When I got home from work everyday, I no longer desired my afternoon naps that I had become so accustomed to. It was incredible!

We went to Lindsay and Adam's last night and were planning to skip the wine/beer that normally goes along with a night with them; however, we decided to have a couple of drinks, nothing crazy, and see what happens. We both had lost when we weighed in this morning! I am definitely learning the value of balance.

We're starting Week 3 this week and should be moving into the "Ongoing Weight Loss" phase of Atkins but I think we're going to do one more week of "Induction."

Total weight loss so far: 10.5 lbs!!! It's amazing how results fuel the motivational fire.

2 comments:

Seachelle said...

Wonderful job! Keep up the great work!

wedbliss5 said...

Best of luck to you both! Keep it up!