Wednesday, September 30, 2009

"Teachers are Born, Not Made."

I just read an article that argued no matter how wonderful the university program, people simply can't be taught how to teach unless they were born with the "teaching gene." I tend to agree. Mark tells people all the time that I could not get paid and I would still do what I do. I love it that much. And it's true. I really do love what I do.

I've had some difficulties of late with one of the teachers in my department. It seems that, because I am more eager to try new things, ready to take on new challenges, and in a position that seems to have authority (as department chair) I can do nothing right. It probably doesn't help that I'm thirty years younger than her either! Truly, no matter what I do, it's wrong. And she has no problem telling me how wrong I am and how thirty-five years of teaching has made her an expert on whatever teeny-tiny little decision I have to make.

So, since my last blog posting, school has started and boy is the ball just a-rolling along! Which, incidentally, is why I haven't posted anything since September 4th. I have a new classroom, which is great! It's also a big change and has thrown everyone off, including me. My co-teacher and I have five new paraeducators which is almost like having five additional students at times. While completely necessary and totally invaluable, teaching five people how you want/need them to work is a huge undertaking. I also have a couple of new students who are really great kids but also very involved behaviorally. To add to the craziness, I have a ton of extra paperwork and evaluations to do this year. And to top it all off, I had this teacher upset with me this afternoon.

But, despite my ranting and jumbled thoughts, it really has been a great year so far! I'm looking forward to things settling down a bit so that I can actually enjoy what it is I was genetically pre-determined to do...teach.

1 comment:

Seachelle said...

I tend to agree with the thought that "teachers are born, not made" as well. It can be frustrating to meet a teacher who isn't passionate about what they do. I'm so happy that you love what you do!