Saturday, September 20, 2008

A Special Day

September 20th has been a special day all my life because it is my big brother's birthday! Happy Birthday Mike!!! I think all girls should grow up with a big brother. It is a special relationship that only those of us who have a big brother can truly understand. 4 years isn't a HUGE age difference but it was big enough to prevent us from being super close as kids. In fact, we had our share of disagreements. I, quite frequently, tell the story of how I would hit Mike for doing a multitude of things (like farting at the breakfast table...) and he would tell me that if I hit him, he would hit me back harder. So, of course, I would hit him as hard as I could then run the other direction and, inevitably, get hit even harder. He once told me a story about a man with a hook for a hand that was buried under our pool and, although I knew it was a ridiculous story, when we would swim at night, all Mike would say was "hook" and I would FREAK OUT! As we got older, I learned just how much my big brother cared about me and looked out for me. Now, as a full grown adult, I truly realize just how special the bond between siblings is. Mike is truly the only person in this world who grew up the exact same way that I did and who has been through the exact same trials and tribulations as I have. He is the one person who can share my perspective on a lot of things. I am so thankful to have him for my brother.

September 20th became even more special 7 years ago (on Mike's 25th birthday) when my dad's twins were born. Happy Birthday Emma and Russell!!! Being the baby in the family, I had never been around newborns. I will never forget the first time I saw them in the hospital. I saw Russell first because he didn't have to be in the NICU and he was laying in just a diaper under a heat lamp. When I saw his beautiful little face, I cried (of course) and knew that these kids were something special. The first time I saw Emma, she was in an incubator and I remember feeling so worried for her especially when she couldn't come home when Russell did. I spent a great deal of time with them during their first year and a half of life - almost every weekend during the school year. It is so hard to believe that they are already 7 years old! They are such great kids and I hope one day that they understand just how special they are to me.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Sorry for not responding to this earlier. Mike said he was going to but shocker - didn't. So I'll say this for him; he was touched by the post. He was laughing really hard during the "Hook" story. I know he treasures your close relationship too. My hope is Colin and his future siblings love each other as much as you guys do.