Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A Wonderful Week

When Mark started working in the hiring center and putting in twelve and fourteen hour days, we decided that I was going to take a little vacation and spend a week in Michigan. We've yet to spend a night away from each other since we've been married and, while I know it'll happen eventually, I just don't want to yet. So, instead of spending the money on a ticket for me, we decided to spend the money on my mom so we flew her here for a week. We had a really fantastic time and, as always, it was very hard for me to see her go home. After taking her to the airport, I did some running around, got a pint of Ben & Jerry's FroYo, and laid in bed for a couple of hours.



She arrived last Wednesday around noon and we immediately took her for some delicious, authentic Mexican food. We spent the evening watching home videos, Mamma Mia!, and finishing up the invitations for Erin's baby shower. A nice, relaxing evening together.



Thursday we went to breakfast and then to the Warner Brothers Studio for a VIP Tour. A teacher at school had given me a couple of free passes a couple of years ago so I was finally able to turn them in. It was a great, two-hour tour. We saw Stars Hollow, Connecticut fro Gilmore Girls and Central Perk from Friends. We were also able to walk on the set of Chuck. The magic of movies really is fascinating to me and something that I've always shared with my mom. We went to Mark's restaurant for dinner where I think my mom found a new addiction in the parmigiana encrusted chicken, which is delicious. After dinner we watched the newest Nurse Jackie on demand and I watched my first episode of Weeds, seems interesting.



On Friday, I made cinnamon rolls (something I seem to only eat at my mom's) and we went to my new classroom. I'm moving to the room next door so my co-teacher and I have a much larger space for our program to run in now! We spent hours getting furniture moved around and making my new office seem comfy and cozy. Friday night we had popcorn and chocolate for dinner and saw Orphan, which was really creepy.



Saturday was a very relaxed day. We went to BJ's for breakfast to check out their weekend brunch menu then went dress shopping. (A side note: Mark's restaurant beat the BJ's opening week record so the suits are taking all of the managers and their spouses/significant others to Mastro's in Beverly Hills on August 31. We're getting a limo and everything! The CEO will be there. It's kind of a big deal.)



So Saturday afternoon my mom and I started our quest for the perfect dress. And I proceeded to throw my PMS-induced attitude full force at my mother. I'm sure deep down Mark was thankful that it wasn't him. :) After dress shopping, we went home and each took a little nap. Waking up feeling much better, we went grocery shopping and my mom taught me how she makes mostaccioli. After dinner, the three of us met up with Adam and Lindsay along with her mom, step-dad, and sister, who just happened to be in town this weekend as well. My mom and I ended the evening by dipping our feet in the Pacific.
Sunday was Mark's mom's birthday. We had Chinese food and birthday cake for lunch and relaxed and watched the Dodgers game. We BBQ'd at Adam and Lindsay's place for dinner and enjoyed a great night of discussing wedding plans and playing Cranium.

On Monday, we had a wonderful, albeit hot, day sharing our absolute favorite coasters with my mom at Six Flags Magic Mountain. We went to BJ's for the third time this week. I mean, why not? Mark doesn't get enough of it when he working, right? But it is really good food and we do get it for free.


Tuesday, our last full day together, we went back to my classroom to finish up a couple of projects and my mom was able to meet my co-teacher and all of the administration. They were really great and talked me up a lot which, of course, made me feel good but I know had to make my mom feel pretty good too. She told them that it's nice to know that people love me when she's so far away. I then took her by Cal State Long Beach and showed her where my classes are and we went to pick up the dress that I decided upon. We stayed at home the rest of the evening and relaxed.





Wednesday morning was clouded by the sadness of her departure but it really was a very good week and it was so nice spending time with her. It was great to have her helping me in my classroom and even better to have her helping me pick out a nice dress - both things that I've gotten pretty used to doing by myself.



It's always hard to leave one another but we talk so often that I feel very close to my mom even though we're physically apart from one another. I sure am one lucky girl.

3 comments:

Seachelle said...

What a beautiful week! You are a lucky girl and she a lucky Mom!

Kristi said...

Sounds like a fun filled week!

Anonymous said...

yay for mom time :)

KD