Sunday, May 17, 2009

Self Diagnosis

Being in the field of special education, I am constantly learning about different disabilities that students can have. Because of this fact, I am also constantly thinking there is something wrong with me. I remember when I was in college (oh wait! I still AM in college!), that is, in my undergrad, I was convinced that I had Multiple Sclerosis. At one point, I joked that maybe Prader-Willi was my syndrome, due to my seemingly insatiable appetite. And I still contend that we are all somewhere on the Spectrum. But, most of all, I have diagnosed myself with adult onset ADHD.

Just as an example, while writing my final paper for tomorrow night's class, I glanced over and saw my hand held, magnifying mirror and decided that it was time to give myself an impromptu facial. Then I got back to writing. But then I looked down and noticed my toe nails are in desperate need of a pedicure so I proceeded to clip and file my nails - all of them mind you, not just the ones on my toes. Back to writing. A few minutes later the dog needed my affection and then I should check on the cats and, while I'm in the house, I should do the dishes...on and on and on. Being on the computer is the worst too, I checked my email and everyone else's blogs a gazillion times.

Three hours later, my paper is finished, submitted to my professor, and now I am free to putz around giving myself facials and pedicures. But, of course, now I can't think of anything to do!

I'm joking of course, I know that I do not seriously have a disability. Unless we can create a new category of ADHD like due-date-impending-attention-deficit or why-get-it-done-early-hyperactivity!

3 comments:

Seachelle said...

Angela and I call that "shiny," as in we saw something interesting (shiny) that took our attention away from what we were doing.

Unknown said...

Due date impending.....Hum!

Anonymous said...

you could always get your facebook page back up and running if you run out of things to do!

kd :)